- 2 cups peanut butter, smooth
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 pound (8 oz.) best quality chocolate or chocolate candy coating for dipping*
- In a bowl mix peanut butter and soft butter smooth. Add vanilla and half of confectioner sugar and blend well. Add remaining confectioner sugar and mix smooth.
- Some peanut butter brands may be a little “drier” and it may be necessary to add a little peanut butter. The consistency of batter should be very firm and holds its shape perfectly when mixture is formed into eggs.
- Shape batter into eggs and place on parchment or wax lined cookie sheets. Set aside.
- Use tempered chocolate or melt candy coating over a bowl over barely simmering water until melted.
- To create stability and make it easier to dip eggs in chocolate, dip bottom of eggs first in chocolate and place on parchment or wax paper.
- Use a fork or a candy-chocolate fork and place a peanut butter egg, chocolate down on fork.
- Dip into chocolate and set eggs on parchment or wax paper.
- Decorate as desired.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
*The difference between real chocolate and candy coating is that real chocolate is made with natural fat from cocoa bean. Real chocolate melts below body temperature and thus melts in the mouth. Candy coating is not made with 100% cocoa butter and is the reason why this product cannot be named chocolate.
Traditionally hydrogenated fat is used which makes this a product similar, but not the same as real chocolate. This type of product will not melt in the mouth as easily and is often described as feeling waxy in the mouth. The disadvantage of working with real chocolate is that it requires attention to detail. If not, the chocolate may not set properly and be crisp. Candy coating can simply be melted and be used and will always harden. For working or tempering chocolate visit http://www.eddyvandammeusa.com/2009/09/tempering-chocolate/.
Kids love being part of making these delicious peanut butter eggs. If desired, decorate with color sprinkles.