- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 6 ounce bar of high quality chocolate with a cocoa content between 58% and 65%, chopped in very small pieces
- 1/2 cup best quality cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- In a small saucepan bring to a boil the whipping cream, vanilla and granulated sugar.
- Place butter and chopped chocolate in a microwave proof bowl.
- Pour boiling cream mixture into chocolate bowl.
- Whisk gently until smooth and all chocolate is dissolved. In a cold kitchen some of chocolate may not dissolve. In such case, place for 10 seconds in microwave oven and whisk again.
- Cover bowl and allow filling to set at room temperature until the next day or at least 4 hours.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chocolate mixture into a piping bag with a tip with a large opening. Pipe chocolate truffles on parchment paper lined sheet. Let truffles rest on baking sheet at a cool room temperature for approximately 45 minutes.
- Sift together cocoa powder and powdered sugar and place on a parchment lined surface for easy clean up.
- Wearing plastic gloves to keep hands from melting truffles, gently roll each piped truffle into a ball and then roll in cocoa powder mixture to coat on all sides.
- Truffles can be kept for a couple of days at room temperature. For longer conservation place in refrigerator.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Truffles are made with just a few natural ingredients and are easy to make. To obtain good results using high quality chocolate and cocoa powder is essential. Many chocolate manufacturers indicate on the label the cocoa mass content. The higher the cocoa mass the stronger the chocolate flavor. This recipe is formulated using chocolate with a cocoa mass content between 58% and 65%. Using a different chocolate may make the truffles too sweet or too bitter. Truffles are best when consumed at room temperature.