Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
2 1/2 dozen Alfajores
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups cornstarch*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (no white bitter part)
- 1 can or jar Dulce De leche, about 14 ounces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Mix soft butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for previous yolk to be fully incorporated. Add salt, vanilla extract and orange zest and combine well
- Add flour all at once and mix until just combined. Press dough about 1/2 inch thick onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile spread coconut on cookie sheet and place in oven for approximately 10 minutes or until coconut is lightly toasted.
- Prepare 2 cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper or brushing with a thin coat of butter. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll half of dough slightly thinner than 1/4 inch thick. Using round cookie cutters about 1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter cut circles and place on cookie sheets about a half inch apart. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake until cookies are very light pale golden, about 8-10 minutes.
- When cookies have cooled sandwich with about two teaspoons of dulce de leche and press just enough for the dulce de leche to come to edges. Roll edges in toasted coconut. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: dfdf :: Barbara :: karinmrsyogi :: Holly21 :: Mellody Seels :: Jenn :: djarac123 :: Sarah D :: Dianne M :: Lindsey V :: Angla :: MrsT :: Barb :: Gary D :: raq :: Michelle M :: Beth :: hokiemom :: nana52 :: Phyllis D