- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, cold & chopped
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- Blue gel paste food coloring
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 pound Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour and baking powder, set aside. Cream sugar and butter. Add egg and food coloring and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially bottom.
- Dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of bowl for rolling. If needed, add more blue food coloring to dough and knead with your hands.
- Roll on a floured surface to about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and use a 3.5” round cookie cutter to cut. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and freeze for 5 minutes before baking to prevent spreading.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting: Beat butter and shortening together until well combined. Sift in powdered sugar and beat on low until incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 5 minutes. Add milk and vanilla, adjusting thickness with more milk or powdered sugar as needed.
- To make topping: Combine sliced strawberries and brown sugar in a bowl and let sit 5-10 minutes before using.
- To assemble: Start with one cookie on each plate. Fit a piping bag with a large tip. Pipe buttercream onto the cookies, then top with strawberries. Repeat.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bakeat350.