- 4 .5 ounce (1 3/4 cup) almond flour or meal*
- 7. 5 ounce (2 cups minus 3 tablespoons) Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 ounce (1/2 cup) egg whites (no yolk traces)
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoon) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Set aside 3 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 1/2-inch (Ateco 806) plain round pastry tip and set aside.
- Combine almond flour/meal, powdered sugar and salt in a food processor and mix until almond flour feels super fine. Set aside.
- In a bowl whip egg whites and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar to very stiff peaks.
- Stop whipping and immediately add almond meal mixture. Using a rubber spatula mix until the batter is smooth but do not overmix to avoid making the batter runny. The batter should look like thick pancake batter.
- Fill the pastry bag with filling and pipe 1/2-inch diameter dome shaped mounds onto the prepared sheets about 1/2-inch apart. Macarons will spread a little just after piping.
- Dust macarons with a touch of cocoa powder.
- Allow the macarons to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before placing them in the oven. However, if you notice that macarons are still spreading and not holding their shape, place immediately in the oven.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes or until you can lift one up from the baking sheet without tearing it apart. If you see golden or light brown color develop on the surface they are completely done.
- Allow macarons to cool on the sheets they were baked on.
- Prepare caramel chocolate filling by placing 1 cup sugar with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Place a lid on pan for 1 minute to trap steam which consequently will make any sugar crystals stuck to the sides slide down.
- Remove lid and cook until honey colored. Do not undercook as a honey colored caramel will give a desired full caramel flavor. Do NOT stir the mixture while cooking!
- While caramel mixture is cooking bring heavy cream to a near boil on stove or in microwave.
- Pour half of heated cream into caramel (be careful as it will rise and steam profusely). Add the rest. Once safe whisk mixture smooth and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour in a bowl and add salt and chocolate chips, stir to combine. Lastly add butter and let cool until firm enough to fill macarons.
- Using a pastry bag or spoon, place chocolate caramel filling on top of one macaron and sandwich with another.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
- To be successful when making macarons, it is important to measure ingredients exactly as listed above.
- Macarons should be placed in a refrigerator for 24- 48 hours to reach perfection. After this time, the exterior will still be chewy crisp but the interior will be soft and tender. Therefore, this makes it a perfect dessert to make ahead of your party. They freeze very well as well.