30 minutes chill time
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (plus extra for sprinkling) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon green creme de menthe liqueur
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- Optional: white chocolate candy coating
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the creme de menthe.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough ½-inch thick and cut into 3 by 1-inch fingers. Place the cookies the on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan combine dark chocolate and shortening; heat and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in mint extract. Dip each cookie into chocolate.
- If desired, drizzle cookies with melted white chocolate.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.