- 1/2 cup (1 stick) + 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup pistachios + a few for decoration
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted pistachios)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional: 2 tablespoons honey (for brushing)
- Half recipe: Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place butter in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn to simmer and cook butter until it reaches a golden color and smells nutty.
- Remove from heat and pour butter through a very fine meshed sieve or cheesecloth. Set aside to cool.
- Place pistachios, flour and confectioners sugar in a food processor or specialty blender and mix until pistachios have turned to the consistency of cornmeal. Place in bowl.
- Add egg whites, salt (if using) and almond extract and mix well.
- Add cooled butter and stir to combine. Place in a refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. If baking immediately the financier will not rise to their full potential but will still be delicious.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Financiers can be baked in silicone baking molds or standard metal material. If using metal such as muffin tins, butter and flour the molds or much easier, use cup cake liners. Silicone molds do not require butter.
- Fill the pans with 1/2 inch batter and place in oven. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the financiers bounce back when lightly pressed in the center with a finger.
- Upon removal from oven brush with heated honey, if using.
- Let cool. If desired spoon a little ganache on the surface and decorate with pistachio halves.