- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 4 .5 ounces (1 3/4 cups) almond flour or meal
- 7. 5 ounces (2 cups minus 3 tablespoons) Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) egg whites (no yolk traces)
- 1 ounce ( 2 tablespoons) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3-5 drops red food color in gel or paste form
- 2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1 cup + 1 cup strawberries
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare ganache first as it needs to cool and properly firm up. Set aside.
- Macarons are best baked on silicone baking mats but parchment paper will also work. Either set aside 2-3 cookie sheets lined with silicone baking mats or lined with parchment paper.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch (Ateco 806) plain round pastry tip and set aside.
- Combine almond flour/meal, powdered sugar and salt in a food processor and mix until almond flour feels very fine. Set aside.
- In a bowl whip egg whites and granulated sugar to very stiff peaks.
- Stop whipping and immediately add food color and almond meal mixture. Using a rubber spatula mix until batter is smooth but do not overmix to avoid making the batter too runny. The batter should appear like thick pancake batter.
- Fill pastry bag with filling and pipe 11/4 inch diameter dome shaped mounds onto prepared sheets about 1 inch apart. Macarons will spread a little just after piping.
- Allow macarons to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before placing in the oven. However, if you notice that macarons are still spreading and not holding their shape place immediately in oven.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes or until you can lift one up from the baking sheet without tearing it apart. If you see golden or light brown color develop on the surface they are completely done.
- Allow to cool on the sheets they were baked on.
- Flip half of the macarons upside down. Ganache should be firm as sour cream, if softer place briefly in freezer and stir briefly until it slightly firms up.
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of ganache in center of flipped over macaron. Surround with raspberries and cover with another macaron. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Prepare sauce by pureeing 1 cup of listed strawberries and sugar.
- Cut remaining strawberries in slices to be served on plate.
- For serving place a macaron on a plate and surround with sauce and sliced strawberries. Reheat remaining ganache for 30 seconds in a microwave oven and serve on side as a sauce or use remaining ganache as a delicious spread on toast.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Obtaining a perfect shiny and smooth surface at the first time of making these darling cookies may be a challenge. However, even if the outcome is not picture perfect they still will impress your friends. Make them a couple of times and you will master these before you know it. Chef Eddy highly recommends using a scale for optimum results.