Red Velvet Macarons
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
rest time 30 minutes to 1 hour
24 filled macarons
- 105 grams almond meal, sifted
- 130 grams sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 90 grams aged egg whites
- 65 grams Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside. In a medium bowl sift together powered almond meal, powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whisk egg whites at medium-low speed. Once the egg whites begin to foam, slowly sprinkle in granulated sugar. Slowly increase speed to medium-high and beat until a firm meringue forms. Once you have stiff, glossy peaks, beat in the red food coloring.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients into meringue, until combined. You will have to break meringue to do this, but do not over stir. Fold dry ingredients into meringue until just combined. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag with a plain round tip.
- Pipe 1 inch rounds onto prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch between macarons to allow batter to spread. Once all macarons have been piped, pick up baking sheet with both hands and tap it firmly on counter several times. This will remove any air bubbles.
- Let macarons sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on humidity levels. The macarons are ready to bake when tops are no longer sticky to touch.
- Once macarons are dry to the touch, preheat oven to 285°F; once up to temperature, bake both trays at same time for 16-18 minutes, rotating trays once. Let macarons cool completely on parchment paper or silpat liner before removing.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter together in bowl of a stand mixer. Add vanilla extract, mixing until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Pipe filling onto a cooled macaron shell and sandwich together with a second shell. Repeat until all shells are used. Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for 24 hours before eating. (They are best next day.) Let warm to room temperature before serving.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: shannon dorofeev :: Crystal Christie :: sammiecakes01 :: MrsGolden :: Dee :: catigrey :: sharon w :: Denise's :: hamburgerdan :: Tammy :: Mary :: risie777 :: Victoria :: Debbie P :: cheftJean :: sandy :: Cheryl S :: leigh eller :: jimmy sutton :: Dolores Adams