- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large bowl, with paddle attachment on, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, orange extract, orange zest and freshly ground cardamom.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and add to cookie dough alternately with milk. Mix until just combined.
- Refrigerate cookie dough for 20-30 minutes, while you preheat oven to 325F.
- Using a medium size scoop, drop cookie dough onto 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies for about 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely while preparing glaze.
- In a mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, orange juice and cardamom. If needed add either more sugar or more orange juice until you have a pourable glaze.
- Spoon glaze into a sealable bag. Snip off one corner of bag with scissors, making an opening size you desire. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies. Alternately, you can spread glaze over cookies with back of a teaspoon.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Chilling dough for 20-30 minutes is not mandatory, but letting cookie dough rest allows cardamom and orange flavors to blend.
For best results, we highly recommend grinding cardamom seeds that have been stored in their pods. If using store-bought ground cardamom, use 2 teaspoons.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Roxana Yawgel at a TrEATS Affair.