Chill at least 2 hours to overnight
- 4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 2 cups packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced almonds (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and all spices twice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix on medium speed butter until light and fluffy. Add brown sugar and mix well. Add egg and combine well. Then, scrape bowl and add egg white. Mix to combine.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Place dough in refrigerator overnight or at least 2 hours to chill.
- Tip on rolling dough: These types of cookies are always best when rolled on a lightly floured surface. Using not properly chilled dough or working in a warm kitchen can make things difficult. Pre-chilling your work surface is easily done by placing a couple of cookie sheets filled with ice on the area where you will be rolling the dough. Wood is an excellent surface to roll all types of dough.
- Remove about 1/4 of dough and roll on a floured cool work surface or a lightly floured kitchen towel. Roll dough about 1/8 inch thick. Cut using a knife into rectangles about 2.5 x 1 inch.
- Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. If desired place a few sliced almond pieces on each cookie and place in preheated oven.
- Bake 15-18 minutes. The cookies will slowly rise and then collapse. Once they have collapsed, they are close to being done. When pressed lightly with a finger, they should spring back.
- Allow to cool. If they are not crisp enough when cool, return to oven for a few more minutes.