- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (preferably organic or ground sea salt)
- 6 ounces Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate Chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup light brown sugar, for one minute on medium speed. Then add in egg and vanilla extract and mix for one minute on medium-low speed. Scraping down sides as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly blend dry ingredients into sugar & shortening mix (about 1 minute on low—dough ball should form in mixer. Then, mix in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium-size cookie scoop, scoop cookie batter onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes until slightly brown (the cookies will still be soft to touch—they will finish cooking outside the oven this will ensure a soft middle). Remove cookies and cool on pan for 5 minutes followed by 10 minutes on wire rack.
Note: This recipe was tested in a convection oven.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Something about the dark chocolate chips makes these cookies irresitable!