- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Gold ’N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup blue agave
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 large egg, well beaten
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place racks in top and bottom third of oven. Line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper and place turbinado sugar in a small bowl. Reserve.
- Finely shave chocolate bar into 1/8 inch pieces (use a vegetable peeler).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ground ginger and salt.
- Heat butter in a saucepan until it is just barely melted. Remove from heat and stir in agave, granulated sugar and fresh ginger. The mixture should be warm, but not hot at this point. If it is hot to the touch, let it cool a bit.
- Whisk in egg. Now pour mixture over flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate.
- Scoop out dough in level tablespoons. Tear those pieces of dough in two before rolling each 1/2 tablespoon of dough into a ball shape. Roll each ball between your palms in turbinado sugar to heavily coat outside of each dough ball. For large cookies, use entire tablespoon of dough for each cookie.
- Place dough a few inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies puff up and darken a bit.
- Cool on baking sheet for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then, remove to a wire rack to cool completely.