Refrigerate 1 hour to overnight
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- Royal Icing
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat and add sugar, molasses, water and vanilla. Add all spices and combine well. Mix in egg.
- Transfer mixture to a machine or regular bowl and add flour. Mix until dough comes together. Do not over mix. Refrigerate dough at least for one hour or overnight.
- To make rolling of dough easier, place plastic bags filled with ice on area where you will be rolling dough. Remove after about 10 minutes and dry area. Meanwhile butter or line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Dust with flour and roll a portion of dough between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch. Cut into desired shapes and place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned around edges and barely feel firm when touched, about 9 to 11 minutes.
- For royal icing, sift together powdered sugar with dried egg whites and place in a bowl. Add water and lemon juice and whip several minutes to a stiff mixture. Thin mixture with water or food color if desired.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
These cookies are decorated with Royal Icing made using dried or powdered egg whites to ensure food safety. Royal icing becomes hard and makes cookie wrapping or transporting easier.
Watch our vintage TV commercial for gingerbread. Click here!