Refrigerate 30-45 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1/2 cup non Dutched (non alkalized) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup for rolling dough, Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 bag miniatures peanut buttercups (dark or milk)
- Royal Icing
*Using spoon fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. (Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine and sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- With hand held mixer or stand mixer beat soft butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Add sifted ingredients and mix until dough forms, do not overmix.
- Press dough 1/4 inch thick on a cookie sheet lined with plastic food film and place in refrigerator until firm enough to be rolled, about 30-45 minutes. (or refrigerate dough overnight).
- Press dough briefly together to form a ball. Place powdered sugar in a sieve and dust the work surface and dough with a thin layer.
- Roll dough about 3-4 stacked credit cards thick. Cut into circles nearly 1/4 inch wider than peanut buttercups and place on parchment lined cookies sheets about 1/4 inch apart.
- Place in oven and bake until the surface is set but is still soft, about 11-13 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare royal icing and if desired add orange food color. Using royal icing “glue” peanut buttercups onto cookie bottoms.
- With a piping bag, pipe a ribbon of icing along the bottom of peanut buttercups.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
If you are in a hurry, store bought dark cookies such as Oreos can be used instead of the homemade chocolate wafers above.