Chill 2 hours to overnight
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Prepare cookie dough and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Tip on rolling dough: These types of cookies are always best when rolled on a lightly floured surface. Using not properly chilled dough or working in a warm kitchen can make things difficult. Pre-chilling your work surface is easily done by placing a couple of cookie sheets filled with ice on the area where you will be rolling the dough. Wood is an excellent surface to roll all types of dough.
- Remove about one half of the dough and roll on a floured cool work surface or a lightly floured kitchen towel, roll the dough to 4 stacked credit cards thick (about 1/8-inch).
- Using a round cutter of approximately 1.5 inch in diameter cut circles and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Roll another half of dough to same thickness and cut circles of approximately 2-inch in diameter, place on buttered or parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Place cookies in preheated oven.
- Cookies will slowly rise and then collapse; once they have collapsed they are close to being done. At this time when cookies are pressed lightly with a finger they should spring back.
- Allow to cool. If they are not crisp enough when cool, return to the oven for a few more minutes.
- Prepare royal icing, Fill a pastry bag or zip lock bag with royal icing and sandwich the large cookies together with royal icing. Set “turkey tail” aside. Keep remaining royal icing tightly wrapped.
- Melt candy coating. For balance cut a sliver of the side of a peanut butter cup and dip it into candy coating. Place it onto center of a small cookie. Let “body” harden.
- Meanwhile dip white part of candy corn into candy coating and stick between sandwiched cookies.
- Dip bottom of malted milk ball into candy coating and place on peanut butter cup. Let “head” harden.
- Using a finger dip a little candy coating on each side of peanut butter cups and attach a candy corn “wing”
- For beak cut white top of candy corn and attach to head using candy coating.
- Using a piping bag pipe eyes on turkey (optional) finish with piping slightly cooled candy coating for pupil.
- Dip “tail” in candy coating and place on back of “body”
- Make remaining royal icing orange and using a bag pipe feet.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
This whimsical cookie is best made using cookie dough which will bake to a crisp state. One of the recommended cookies to use is our Biscoff style cookie dough. You can also use Oreo cookies.