- 1 pound cherries, fresh or frozen
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup allpurpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For garnish Crème Chantilly
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Smear a little extra butter in a deep 9-inch pie tin or a 9x 9 inch square pan or a bake-proof vessel with similar dimensions. Set aside.
- If using fresh cherries, remove stems and pits and scatter on bottom of selected pan. Frozen cherries do not need to be thawed. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together eggs and milk until well combined.
- Sift and add flour, sugar and salt and whisk until no lumps remain. Add vanilla and melted butter and whisk smooth.
- Pour onto cherries and place in oven.
- After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325°F and bake until center is set and no longer trembles, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Based on your type of vessel and how it conducts heat, your required time may be more or less.
- Remove from oven.
- If desired serve warm with Crème Chantilly or vanilla ice cream.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Clafouti is most delicious when served warm or at room temperature.