Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot, strong coffee (if using instant, use 2 teaspoons with 1/2 cup hot water)
- 1 1/2 cups maraschino cherry juice from 30 oz jar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
Cherry Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 7-8 tablespoons prepared cherry sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, both cocoa powders, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract until smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat until combined. Pour in hot coffee and beat until smooth (the batter will be very thin). Scrape down sides of the bowl and beat again to incorporate as needed. Distribute batter to cupcake liners filling them no more than 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan before removing and transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- In a small saucepan, add maraschino cherry juice and bring to a gentle boil on medium-low heat. In a small bowl, whisk corn starch and water until smooth. Once juice is boiling, add cornstarch mixture a small amount at a time, whisking very well after each addition until mixture is very thick, like the consistency of a pie filling. Set aside to cool completely.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and salt until smooth. Scrape down sides, then add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat again until smooth. Lastly, add cherry sauce 1 tablespoon at a time until frosting is loosened up and smooth. Add more or less depending on the consistency/flavor you desire.
- Frost cupcakes and finish each one off with three cherries to form a "heart" shape and pour about 2 teaspoons of remaining cherry sauce on top.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Kraft @sprinklesomesugar.