- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 20 strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 cupcake tins with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In large pourable container, pour hot coffee over chocolate chips, let sit for a few minutes to allow chocolate to soften. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Pour liquids into solids. Whisk until smooth.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full and bake 18-20 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool completely.
While cupcakes bake, make the frosting.
- Place strawberries, granulated sugar and lemon juice in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy.
- Add strawberry puree and beat until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Cut cone shaped hole into cooled cupcake, place a strawberry with the top cut off into hole. Pipe frosting on top. Do this with all 12 cupcakes then place in fridge to firm up a bit.
- Melt about 12 ounces chocolate candy coating and pour over each cupcake. Top with a fresh strawberry.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.