- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons low-sugar strawberry jam
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 8 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- 15 whole strawberries
- 4 ounces chocolate melts
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cupcake tins with 15 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Using a fork, mix in butter until batter is crumbly. Stir in egg, milk and vanilla. Mix well. The batter will be thin.
- Fill cupcake cups 2/3 of way full. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Using a knife cut a circle in the tops of cooled cupcakes. Gently pull a small piece off so that there is a hole in each cupcake for filling. Reserve top piece of cake that was cut off for later.
- Spoon a small amount of strawberry jam into each cupcake. Place top piece of cupcake back on top, sealing in filling.
- To make buttercream, mix the butter and jam together until light. Add milk and gradually add powdered sugar, scraping the bowl down as you go.
- Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes.
- Melt chocolate candy melts in microwave in 30 second intervals until they are totally melted. Holding each strawberry by stem, dip into chocolate, let excess dip off into the bowl and then lay on waxed paper to cool.
- Place one cooled chocolate covered strawberry on top of each cupcake.