- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3.5 ounces marshmallow creme
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl as you mix.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Add flour mixture to sugar/butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Pour chocolate cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cake is cooled, make marshmallow filling.
- Marshmallow filling: Place marshmallow creme and 3 tablespoons of butter in mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract and powdered sugar, mixing well until light and fluffy.
- With a 2-3 inch biscuit cutter, cut cake disks out of cooled cake. Set aside to fill.
- To fill snack cakes, cut a cone on top of each cake and remove it. Add about 1-2 teaspoons of filling to center and cover with half of cut-out cone. Do the same with remaining snack cakes.
- Once all snack cakes are filled, make ganache and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place cut out snack cakes on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet covered in wax or parchment paper for easy clean up. With a spoon cover each cake in ganache. Leave to cool completely. Once chocolate is cooled and set, invert the snack cakes and pour ganache over bottoms. With the help of a pastry brush, cover any remaining uncoated areas.
- Leave at room temperature for ganache to set completely before serving.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Use the best quality chocolate (60-70% cocoa) that you can find. The higher the cocoa percentage, the lower the overall sugar content. It is cocoa mass that gives firmness to sauces, ganache etc., while sugar makes it thinner.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Roxana Yawgel at a TrEATS Affair.