- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups whole pecans
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Divide batter among cupcake tins, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in evaporated milk, baking soda, and corn syrup; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and let cool completely. (Speed up this process by cooling mixture in refrigerator).
- Transfer to a stand mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar to caramel mixture, beating at medium speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Frost cupcakes with frosting.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, add sugar and pecans. Stir with a rubber spatula until sugar is completely melted and pecans are well coated with sugar glaze.
- Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and vanilla. Transfer pecans to a nonstick baking sheet or glass plate. Chill 5 minutes. Break apart pecans and place on top of cupcakes.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.