- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour*
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
Whipped Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Fresh raspberries, for serving
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place a rack in center of your oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Sift together powdered sugar and cake flour. Repeat, sifting three times total. Set aside.
- Beat together egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a large mixing bowl on high speed until medium-stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Reduce mixer speed to medium, then slowly pour in granulated sugar. Continue beating until egg whites are thick and glossy. Beat in almond extract and lemon zest.
- With a measuring scoop, scatter 1/4 cup of flour mixture over top of bowl with egg whites. With a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites in. When most of flour has disappeared, sprinkle another 1/4 cup over top, then repeat. Continue sprinkling and folding by 1/4-cup increments, just until all flour is incorporated.
- Divide batter between prepared cups, filling cups no more than 3/4 of the way. Bake until tops are golden, spring back lightly when touched, and any cracks in top of cupcakes feel dry and not at all sticky, about 15 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then very gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fill cupcakes: With a small, sharp knife such as a pairing knife, cut a small hole in top center of each cupcake, lifting a bit of cake out to make a well. Carefully spoon 1 teaspoon of raspberry jam into each hole, then replace piece of cake that was removed.
- Prepare frosting: In a mixing bowl, whip heavy cream with very clean beaters on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add in powdered sugar, then lemon zest and beat until combined. With a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into the cream cheese. Frost cupcakes with a knife or a piping bag, then top with each with a fresh raspberry.
- Leftover cupcakes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Clarke @WellPlated.