Dulce de Leche
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
- 2 quart milk
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan (mixture will rise in pan so choose a large pan) combine milk, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce heat to medium while constantly stirring with a heat resistant spatula.
- After 45 minutes cooking, cut vanilla bean lengthwise in half and add both parts to above.
- When mixture starts to become light golden make certain to stir well as it may scorch otherwise. Cook to a golden light brown color. Drop a small amount on a plate and let cool, this will give you an idea of consistency. The darker the dulce de leche the deeper the flavor, however it will also be firmer at that point.
- Remove from heat and pour in clean jars. Store refrigerated.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: ken jamieson :: Kim L :: Vicki C :: EH :: Glenda Mann :: KAI :: letisa montgomery :: Liane :: lori1985 :: Designsbydee1 :: Jeci Bohannon :: Kathryn P :: Terri E Moore :: chefdana :: cj :: aberskrappy :: jess ham :: Belle F :: Caitlin :: Mary Jane Campbell