Stand time at least 8 hours to overnight
- 4 tablespoons shortening (if using butter instead, the fondant will only keep for a few days)
- 1 package (16 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bag (32 ounces or 2 pounds) Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon, orange mint or any type of flavor
- Food color as needed if desired
- Place marshmallows and water in a large microwave oven safe bowl and heat in 20 second increments. Stir in between heating sessions.
- Heat until marshmallows have melted and mixture is smooth and resembles marshmallow fluff.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, about a cup at a time waiting for previous added amount to be fully incorporated.
- Reserve about a cup of powdered sugar.
- Add shortening or butter and knead into dough. Add flavor and food color as desired. Knead in remaining powdered sugar.
- Wrap fondant in plastic food wrap. If needing fondant quickly, place in refrigerator for about an hour. Otherwise keep at room temperature until following day(s).
- For a firmer fondant knead in additional powdered sugar.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Making your own rolled fondant is very easy and costs a whole lot less than the store-bought version. You can flavor fondant with lemon oil, orange, strawberry, mint, etc. and add food coloring as desired. Kids can play with this fondant instead of play dough. Make it and let it set at least 8 hours or overnight before using. The fondant will last for weeks.