Dark Chocolate Espresso Ice Cream
Prep time :
3 hours chill time
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips or bars, chopped
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup, divided Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- Microwave chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring after each heating. Once melted, stir in brewed espresso. Set aside.
- Bring cream, half-and-half, and 2/3 cup sugar to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and coffee dissolve.
- In a separate bowl, beat yolks with remaining 1/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer until thickened. With mixer running, add 1 cup of hot cream to temper the eggs. Slowly pour egg mixture back into saucepan.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate mixture. Cover mixture and refrigerate at least three hours.
- Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: mcveyk :: Marta SEBESTYEN :: Jan :: Mookie R :: Katie :: Kathi V :: anne :: crystal c :: linda :: Jimeka :: Courtney Dunning :: tonya1976 :: ced :: Darrin :: TDrake :: Alicia C :: Tia R :: suzie :: Melissa :: Holly