Refrigerate dough 30 minutes
Freeze cake overnight
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour*
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup peach liquor or additional milk
- Optional: Lemon Curd Macarons
- 4 small fresh peaches (16 oz total)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour and baking soda together and set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth, add sugars and cream further. Add egg, salt and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- Add dry ingredients all at once and mix until just combined.
- Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes or until it is no longer sticky.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Divide dough in half, onto a sheet of parchment paper, press or roll each piece of dough into an 8-inch diameter circle.
- Bake until very light golden, about 12-14 minutes and allow to cool.
- Spread oil or cooking spray inside a 8 or 9-inch cake pan. Do not use butter. Press plastic food film into pan, esnuring it comes out and over the edge of the pan. Ensure baked cookie circles will fit into pan, if necessary, trim using a serrated knife. Set cookies aside and place pan in refrigerator to chill.
- Bring cream, milk, sugar and salt to a full boil. Remove from heat and place saucepan in bowl filled with ice cubes. When most ice cubes have melted, renew ice cubes and cover pan, sprinkle a cup of salt on ice cubes to get ice cream mixture super cold. (To ensure a smooth ice cream it is essential that the ice cream mixture is very cold when pouring it in the ice cream maker.) Add liquor if using.
- Churn ice cream according to machine manufacturer’s directions. Once churned, remove chilled cake pan from refrigerator, place cookie inside and cover with ice cream. Gently press the second baked cookie onto ice cream, cover with additional ice cream, ensuring tops and sides are competely covered. Place in freezer, preferably overnight.
- Make macarons and set aside.
- For peach topping, peel fruit and cut in slices. Set aside.
- Bring orange juice and sugar to a boil. Stir together water and cornstarch and whisk rapidly into boiling above. Whisk until well thickened and boiling.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and peaches. Set aside.
- When ready to serve: Remove cake from freezer. Use plastic wrap to lift from pan and place on serving plate. Surround the surface with macarons and rim the bottom with sliced almonds. Spoon peach mixture on top. Peaches can be reheated prior to serving.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Tip: We used Chef Eddy's recipe for homemade macarons, but in a time crunch, store-bought macarons can be used as well.