- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, in slices
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons bread or all-purpose flour*
- 4 large eggs + 1 egg white
- 2 bags (12 ounces) frozen raspberries
- 2 bags (12 ounces) frozen blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoon agave syrup or corn syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients bring milk, water, salt, sugar and butter to a boil.
- Remove boiling mixture from heat source and rapidly stir in flour with a wooden spatula or heat resistant rubber spatula.
- Return mixture to the source and stir over heat for 1-2 minutes or until mixture forms a ball and leaves a dough type of film on bottom of pan.
- Remove from heat. Incorporating eggs can be done using a stand mixer or hand held mixer. Either drop batter in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment or in a regular bowl.
- Mix in eggs and egg white one at a time waiting for the previous added egg to be fully incorporated. Mix until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Batter can be piped on cookie sheets or dropped with a spoon. On parchment paper or Silpat lined cookie sheets pipe the batter using a large plain tip in 3 tablespoon amounts. Leave 3 fingers of space between each for expanding. If using a spoon, drop the batter into three tablespoon amounts in a round mound. Again leaving three fingers of space.
- Bake at 400º F until very dry and crisp and deep golden. Do not underbake as this will cause the puffs to collapse. When you believe they are done, take one puff out the oven and feel the sides, it should feel crisp. Let sit for a 3-4 minutes, if it does not collapse, remove others from oven.
- If desired puffs can be filled while still hot or reheated later and filled.
- For ice cream: Defrost both berries either overnight in refrigerator or on low setting in microwave. Keep temperature of berries around room temperature.
- Bring to boil water, sugar and agave syrup. Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Pour in bowl and place in freezer until very cold.
- Puree berries until very smooth puree is obtained.
- Press puree through sieve and discard seeds. Obtain a total of 3 cups fruit puree. Use any remaining puree to flavor beverages.
- Combine puree with cold syrup and cold heavy cream and whisk smooth. Place in freezer until very cold.
- Meanwhile prepare ice cream machine (follow manufactures directions). Pouring very cold ice cream mixture into the machine will shorten churning time and provide smoother and better ice cream.
- Place churned ice cream in pre-chilled bowl in freezer until ready to use.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Note: Cream puffs can be made days ahead of your special occasion. Once baked place in freezer bags and defrost at room temperature when needed. Once defrosted place them in 400°F oven for 4 minutes to make them crisp again and you are all set to fill with Crème Chantilly or homemade ice cream.