Berries and Cream Crescent Doughnuts
Prep time :
Fry 2 to 3 minutes
6 crescent doughnuts
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 2 cups whole or 2 % milk
- 4 + 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large egg yolks at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 packages crescent rolls
- 1 1/2 quart frying oil
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 pint raspberries
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare pastry cream by bringing milk and 4 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan to boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks, salt and remaining 4 tablespoons sugar until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and cornstarch.
- When milk comes to a boil add about one fourth of milk to yolk mixture. Whisk rapidly. Pour yolk mixture into remaining milk and using a whisk bring to a boil.
- Whisk vigorously to prevent burning, once cream is thick as pudding remove from heat. Place a piece of plastic food film directly onto cream and place in refrigerator.
- Place oil onto heat source and heat to 325°F-350°F.
- Meanwhile unwrap one package of Crescent rolls onto a cutting board. Stack half of dough onto other half. Repeat by stacking one half of dough onto remaining half. Press any perforations showing on dough together.
- Roll stacked dough slightly wider to ensure that it will fit your round cutter. Using a round cutter with approximate dimensions of 3 inches cut 2 circles. Using a round half inch cutter, cut a hole in center.
- Press left over dough into a circle and cut another pastry. Repeat with remaining crescent dough package.
- Place about 2 doughnuts in oil and fry about 1 1/2 minutes on both sides. Place on paper towels.
- Prepare glaze by melting butter. Add powdered sugar, water and vanilla and whisk well.
- Cut doughnuts horizontally in half. Spoon vanilla cream in middle and place strawberries and raspberries onto cream.
- Drizzle with glaze.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: john morris :: Laura :: TRISH C :: morriganaine :: paulette :: amy brock :: jbjkbjkb :: Clair :: jennifr c :: Julie :: lisa stamey :: ymabaker :: lee T :: g p :: Juanita E :: Ida Barnes :: Tom U :: Sally :: nicole :: Virginia