- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- OR 2 tablespoons Steviacane
- 1 package (3 1/2 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 vanilla bean, split & scraped
- 2 cups cold whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix water, yeast and sugar together until yeast and sugar are dissolved. Set aside.
- In a bowl of stand mixer, prepare the pudding according to package directions.
- Add melted butter, vanilla, eggs and salt; mix to blend well.
- Add yeast mixture and blend well.
- Gradually add flour and cardamom; transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down dough and let rise again.
- Roll out on a floured surface to about 2 feet by 16 inches. Take 1 cup soft butter and spread over surface. Top with applesauce.
- In a bowl mix 2 cups brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger, then sprinkle over the top. Roll up tightly. Don’t be afraid to tug on the dough, it is very stretchy and the more “rolls” you get the better!
- Put a notch every 1 1/2 – 2 inches. Cut with thread or a sharp knife.
- Place cinnamon rolls on lightly greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart; lightly press each roll down. **at this point you can cover and freeze them for a rainy day! You may also opt to bake each roll in its own small pan.
- Cover and let rise to almost double again.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While rolls bake, prepare glaze. Combine ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Remove when rolls start to turn golden. Don’t over-bake. Frost warm rolls with glaze.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.