Banana Dulce de Leche Pie
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
Chill for 6+ hours
One 9-inch pie
- 14 whole graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 7 tablespoons (3.5 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (13.4 oz) prepared dulce de leche
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dulce de leche, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor pulse graham crackers and sugar until finely ground. Add butter and pulse until moistened. Use the bottom of a measuring cup, glass, or ramekin to press crust mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until fragrant and golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- For the filling: In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt and eggs until very smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk just to a boil. Gradually add hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return egg and milk mixture back to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Spread dulce de leche on top of the chilled curst. Spread banana slices over dulce de leche in an even layer. Spoon the hot cream mixture over bananas. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely set, at least 6 hours.
- For the topping: Before serving, place cream in a bowl and whip with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip until thickened, then add in powdered sugar and cinnamon. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over chilled pie. Drizzle with dulce de leche. You may need to microwave it until warmed and pourable before drizzling.
- Serve cold the day the pie is topped with whipped cream. To make cutting slices easier, pop the pie in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Tessa Arias @HandletheHeat.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Patt Everest :: Kinsley B :: sonja :: Sharon K :: Julia :: Charlene Luke :: Mimi Fowler :: Loriann Anders :: kristi wilder :: tcowart :: Tricia B :: Tasha :: Denise H :: pamperedprice :: Ronda :: Marcia :: Cindy D :: Lisa B :: blessedwoG :: DONNA HANSON