- 1 roll (8 ounces) phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (I used grapefruit)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 10 inch springform pan with cooking spray. Unroll phyllo, remove a single sheet and place in bottom and partially up sides of springform pan.
- Brush with butter and crisscross with another sheet brushing it with butter. Pivot next sheet of phyllo slightly and brush with butter. Continue layering until you have 8 layers.
- Place layer of white chocolate in bottom of crust and top with cranberries. Cover with damp paper towel and refrigerate while you prepare custard.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and sugar about 1 minute. Add flour, cream, orange zest and vanilla. Pour mixture over cranberries. With remaining phyllo, remove 2 or 3 sheets at a time and roll sheets and tuck phyllo around top edges of custard to form crust. Brush generously with butter. Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F.
- In a small saucepan combine orange marmalade and orange juice. Simmer over low heat until sauce starts to thicken (about 3 to 5 minutes). Add balsamic vinegar and continue to simmer 1 minute.
- Remove clafouti from the oven and brush with orange mixture. Cover edges of clafouti pan with a pie ring to keep crust from burning. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm with remaining orange sauce.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
I love trying new recipes for the holidays and I love custard pies so I thought I’d try to find a way to incorporate both in a new fun twist on a cranberry pie. The sweet sugar and white chocolate are a perfect complement to the tart cranberries and the phyllo dough adds a fun elegance to a very simple recipe. The orange balsamic glaze is just simply fun and a very tasty addition to any recipe.
This Cranberry White Chocolate Clafouti with Orange Balsamic Glaze recipe has been submitted by one of our Dixie Crystals friends and has not been tested in our kitchen. If you have any problems with this recipe, or would like to give us your feedback, please email us by clicking here.