- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 container (6 ounce) raspberries
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) blackberries
- 1 container (6 ounce) strawberries
- 1 large apple
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons tapioca
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and place on an aluminum foil lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients combine raspberries and blackberries. Quarter strawberries and add. Peel and grate apple on the large eyes of a box grater or cut in small cubes.
- Add sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, ginger, salt and vanilla extract. Toss the mixture and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. This time is vital to allow tapioca to swell and ensure a properly set baked pie. The mixture will first be dry then look juice and then slightly thicken.
- Meanwhile prepare crumble by combining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate the very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture.
- Rub between your hands to turn streusel into small lumps and consequently into crumbles. Set aside.
- Place fruit filling into pie shell and cover with crumble. Place in the oven for 30 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Keep in oven for about one 45 more minutes or until the filling makes thick bubbles (consistency of honey) which are visibly showing on top or sides of pie. If the pie gets too dark during baking cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve cold.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Berry pies fare excellent with tapioca as a thickener as it provides a lovely texture and it allows the berry flavor to really shine through. However tapioca can be replaced with the same amount of cornstarch.