Sweet Potato Pie
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
Refrigerate 2 hours
One 9-inch pie
- 4 cups evenly cubed sweet potatoes (about 3 regular sized sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- Optional: Crème Chantilly
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and place on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and set aside.
- Boil cubed sweet potatoes in non-salted water until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Transfer to blender or food processor and mix until very smooth. Measure exactly 2 cups of puree and transfer to bowl. Use any remaining amount for other purpose.
- Add half and half, brown sugar and butter and whisk smooth. Whisk in eggs, spices and salt,
- Pour filling into pie shell. Place in oven for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350°F. Bake until pie no longer trembles in center and is set, about an additional 45 minutes.
- If desired roll remaining pie dough 1/8 inch thick and cut into leaf shapes using a paring knife or cookie cutter. Using back of knife indent the leaves to create veins. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle evenly with sugar. Place in oven until light golden, about 12-15 minutes. Decorate baked pie with leaves.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with crème Chantilly if desired.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: harry :: joanie stevens :: lk :: kay dee :: Chrissy A :: Larry F :: Tiffany :: Millie A :: Serah :: Susan T :: Carol; :: jim :: Charuth :: Lisa :: Cj :: Heather :: James M :: Susann S :: ltandy :: Yvonne