- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 can coconut milk (about 13.5 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk beverage or dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter or virgin coconut oil (solid at room temperature type)
- Coconut extract or a few tablespoons coconut liquor (optional)
- Coconut flakes, toasted for garnish
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area. Set aside a deep dish pie tin.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie tin. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Set aside.
- Prick surface with a fork and place in oven until golden brown, about 14 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg yolks and both coconut milks. Pour into sugar-cornstarch mixture and whisk to a boil. When boiling the cream will be vigorously bubbling and be thick like mayonnaise. Remove from heat.
- Add coconut flakes and vanilla extract. Add butter and stir to combine.
- If desired add a very small amount of coconut extract or liqour. Be aware that using too much extract much may quickly make the custard taste like sun tan lotion!
- Pour custard into pie crust and place in the refrigerator. Let cool completely before topping with whipping cream.
- In a cold bowl whip cream, sugar and vanilla until peaks form. Spread onto surface or alternatively use a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip and pipe rosettes onto the surface.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Coconut extract is optional and if desired a few tablespoons of coconut liquor may be added in the silky custard.