- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 apples (4 Granny Smith + 3 Golden delicious)
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark Rum
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and place on an aluminum foil lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Peel apples one at a time, quarter apples and cut each quarter in 5-6 slices, cut each slice crosswise in half. Toss in sugar mixture to prevent browning of apples. Once all apples are incorporated add flour.
- Arrange apple filling in a huge dome shape in piecrust. It will seem as a lot but try to get all apple filling in pie as pie will settle down after baking. Melt butter and pour over apple filling.
- Prepare streusel –crumble by combining flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture.
- Rub between your hands to turn streusel into small lumps and consequently into crumbles.
- Sprinkle crumble topping generously over the apples and place in oven. Bake until apple filling makes thick bubbles (consistency of honey) which are visibly dripping out of pie, about 2 hours. If pie gets too dark during baking cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- If desired cut leaves using pie dough and place on a cookie sheet. Using a paring knife cut veins. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place in oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Place on the baked pie.
- For sauce: In a saucepan combine cream, butter, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon stick and stir to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 2-3 minutes. Once cooled add vanilla and Rum.
- Cut pie in wedges and place on plates. Heat sauce until lukewarm and pour sauce on each slice.