- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 ounces chocolate, 70% cocoa
- 4 egg whites no egg yolk traces
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Butter and granulated sugar for preparing ramekins
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Evenly brush 6 ramekins with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with granulated sugar and set aside on a cookie sheet.
- Chop chocolate in small pieces and set aside.
- In a saucepan whisk whipping cream, vanilla, salt, cocoa powder and cornstarch to a boil. Once boiling whisk vigorously until mixture thickens as pudding. Remove from heat.
- Add and quickly whisk in egg yolks followed by chocolate. If mixture looks slightly curdled, do not panic as it will be fixed once whipped egg whites are added.
- Scrape mixture into a bowl large enough to hold the following whipped meringue.
- Best done using a machine: In a spotless bowl whip egg whites and half of powdered sugar until thick and doubled. Add remaining sugar and whip until thick and light meringue is obtained.
- Add one sixth of meringue and using a whisk make smooth and no lumps remain. Add another sixth amount and now fold with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- Add half of remaining meringue and fold very delicately to retain a very light and airy mass. Fold in remaining meringue.
- Delicately scoop batter evenly into ramekins all the way to the rim. Place on a cookie sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until center of soufflé’ feels sponge-like.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Choose excellent quality chocolate as it clearly is the domineering flavor in this dessert. Equally important is the cocoa mass content of chocolate as it influences not only the flavor but texture and baking quality of the soufflé as well.