- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
Peppermint Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- red food coloring, optional
Peppermint Chocolate Pudding
- 1 (3.4 oz) box of chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups of milk OR amount according to instructions on box
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, to taste
- Crushed candy canes, optional for garnish
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ Line a 9x9 (8x8 will work too) baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil greased well. Set aside.
- Prepare brownies first. In a large microwave-safe bowl, place butter, both sugars and cocoa powder. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir well and allow to cool for about 3 minutes before continuing. Add eggs and vanilla and stir until fully incorporated. Pour in flour and baking powder and mix until combined. Pour brownie batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow brownies to cool completely in pan. Once completely cooled, cut brownies into tiny squares. Set aside.
- To prepare Peppermint Whipped Cream, whisk heavy cream, peppermint extract and optional red food coloring until stiff peaks form. Beat in powdered sugar. Scrape down sides as needed. Set aside.
- Prepare Peppermint Chocolate pudding: Whisk pudding mix, milk and peppermint extract together until smooth. Allow to set slightly. Set aside.
- In individual glasses, start layering brownies, then pudding, then whipped cream in that order. You will want two layers of each. Just before serving, finish top layer of whipped cream off with some crushed candy canes (optional). These may be made a few hours in advance. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Swap the red food coloring with green and these trifles make for one lucky St. Patrick's Day treat. :)
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Kraft @SprinkleSomeSugar.