Chill cake for 20 minutes before frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Spun Sugar Bird's Nest
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mini candy coated chocolate Easter eggs
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8 1/2-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl of standing mixer, whip butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Incorporate dry ingredients into wet, stirring until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes, then allow to chill completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, whip butter for 2 minutes, then add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add in cocoa powder, milk, and salt, whipping to combine, about 2 minutes longer.
- Place first cake on a cake stand, then top with generous amount of frosting. Layer second and third layers, frosting the same amount in between each. Frost edges of cake with remaining frosting.
- To make bird's nest, grease lip and inside of a large mixing bowl, then set aside. Heat sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, swirling the pan every minute or so. Heat until sugar becomes a light golden brown, then immediately remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool for 1-2 minutes, until sugar forms a long and continuous drip when lifted with a fork. Flick fork back and forth over greased bowl, creating long strings of sugar. Then, carefully lift sugar stack from the bowl and fold two ends together, so they touch.
- Place nest atop cake, then top with mini candy coated chocolate Easter eggs.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Sarah Fennel @BromaBakery.