- 24 square pretzels, often called “Snaps”
- 8 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 48 candy eyes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup, packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or Halloween chips)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make Mummy Pretzels: Line a baking sheet with parchment, or waxed paper. Additionally you can use a cooling rack on top of the baking sheet, but this is optional. Set aside.
- Using a fork, dip each pretzel into white chocolate, tap of excess and place on lined baking sheet or cooling rack. Reserve extra white chocolate for later.
- Immediately place candy eyes onto white chocolate.
- Place baking sheet in refrigerator for 15 minutes to set white chocolate.
- When white chocolate is set, remove pan from refrigerator. Reheat white chocolate in the microwave in 15-second increments until smooth. Place remaining melted white chocolate in a zip top bag. Snip off a small corner of the bag and drizzle more white chocolate on pretzels to mimic appearance of a mummy. Place back in refrigerator to set up.
- To make Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together butter and both sugars on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in vanilla, egg, yolk, salt, and baking soda, mixing for another minute until smooth and scraping sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add in flour until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium (2-tablespoon sized) cookie scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack. Immediately press a decorated pretzel into center of each cookie.
- Allow cookies to cool completely and pretzel to set up.
- Store airtight for up to 3 days.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.