Refrigerate 2 hours to overnight
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons, plus more for sprinkling Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup slivered or chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large bowl with a hand or stand mixer, cream together butter, cream cheese and sour cream until light and fluffy. Add in sugar, flour and vanilla. Mix just until all ingredients are combined.
- Divide dough into four equal balls and flatten into disks. Dough may be slightly sticky. Wrap each one with saran wrap and chill for two hours or overnight. Dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
- When ready to bake, combine filling ingredients.
- Roll out each ball one at a time on a well floured surface into a 9-inch circle. Keep the other balls refrigerated until you are ready to use them.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 of filling onto the circle. Cut the circle into 12 even triangles. Roll up each triangle from the wide end and secure the top into the cookie so you have a little spiral. Place cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet, sprinkle with more sugar and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Repeat with other balls.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake cookies for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on cooking racks.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Amy Kritzer @whatjewwannaeat.