- Lay bananas on side and cut thru skin. Make certain not to cut thru to other side.
- Fit dark chocolate chips or pieces of a chocolate bar in banana. Sprinkle with brown sugar and if desired a light sprinkle of cinnamon.
- On a grill, preheated on medium, cook until bananas are brown, about 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from grill and place on a plate, serve with ice cream and strawberries.
- To prepare ice cream, pour milk and cream in a saucepan. Cut vanilla bean lengthwise in half and scrape seeds out of pod and add to saucepan. Place scraped bean also in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a bowl, whisk yolks vigorously until pale in color and thick. Add granulated sugar and whisk rapidly until smooth.
- Add 1/4 of boiled milk and whisk well.
- Set heat for milk mixture on low and add yolk mixture. Constantly stir mixture until mixture starts to thicken slightly and thermometer reaches 183°F. Do not heat above 185°F or curdling will take place.
- Pour in bowl and set in another bowl containing ice to quickly chill. For optimum texture, it is best to “mature” ice cream mixture overnight in refrigerator. Alternately chill until very cold before churning.
- Pour very cold ice cream mixture into ice cream machine and churn according to ice cream machine manufactures instructions.
- When churned, scoop ice cream and serve bananas.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Chef Eddy Tip: For this dessert you can choose ripe and nearly ripe bananas. Overripe will not work that well, reserve those for homemade banana bread. Since I love the combination of bananas and strawberries, I would suggest you serve these as well. Making homemade ice cream is not complicated and very delicious. Homemade ice cream containing eggs needs to be properly prepared to be safe to eat. The following method cooks the mixture properly to pasteurize the ice cream. The ice cream base can be made the day before your party and churned right before serving!