- 2 1/4 cups (10.13 ounces) all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon green food coloring
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until well-combined and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add egg and extracts and beat until combined. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Remove half of dough from bowl and set aside. Beat green food coloring into remaining dough until evenly colored. Into other half of dough, stir in cocoa powder and milk until combined.
- Place chocolate dough between two large sheets of parchment paper. Roll dough into a large rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with remaining green dough. Carefully place green dough rectangle on top of chocolate dough rectangle, peeling away parchment from green dough. Trim edges if necessary. Using the parchment paper under chocolate dough as a guide to prevent sticking, roll the long side of dough into a tight log, creating a pinwheel effect. Wrap log in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use a sharp knife, cut dough log into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until set. Remove baking sheets to the cooling racks and let cool for 2 minutes before removing the cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Tessa Arias @HandletheHeat.