- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, in slices
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons bread or all-purpose flour*
- 4 large eggs + 1 egg white
Filling Crème Chantilly
- 2 cups (16 ounces container) whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh raspberries or other fruit
- As needed: Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients bring milk, water, salt, sugar and butter to boil.
- Remove boiling mixture from heat source and rapidly stir in flour with a wooden spatula or heat resistant rubber spatula.
- Return mixture to the heat source and stir over heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture forms a ball and leaves a film on bottom of pan.
- Remove from heat. Incorporating eggs can be done using a stand mixer or hand held mixer. Either drop batter in a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment or in a regular bowl.
- Mix in eggs and egg white one at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated. Mix until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Batter can be piped on cookie sheets or dropped with a spoon. On parchment paper or Silpat lined cookie sheets pipe the batter using a large plain tip in 3 tablespoons amounts. Leave 3 fingers of space between each for expanding. If using a spoon, drop the batter into three tablespoon amounts in a round mound. Again leaving three fingers of space.
- Bake at 400°F until very dry and crisp and deep golden. Do not underbake as this will cause the puffs to collapse. When you believe they are done, take one puff out the oven and feel the sides, it should feel crisp. Let sit for a 3 to 4 minutes, if it does not collapse, remove others from the oven.
- Once cool cut puffs horizontally and retain both parts. (If filling with homemade ice cream the puffs can be filled while still hot).
- To make Crème Chantilly whip cream, sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form. Do not overwhip as this will make a heavy-buttery cream.
- Fill puffs half full using a spoon or use piping bag fitted with a large star piping tip. Place several raspberries in puffs.
- Top with additional cream a few raspberries and cover with top part of puffs. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Cream puffs can be made days ahead of your special occasion. Once baked place in freezer bags and defrost at room temperature when needed. Once defrosted place them in 400°F oven for 4 minutes to make them crisp again and you are all set to fill with Crème Chantilly or homemade ice cream.