Fall Entertaining Tips - Easy Appetizer & Beverage Recipes
When the leaves start to change and the air has a bit of a snap, our thoughts turn to fall entertaining. Whether tailgating or backyard patio dining, you can never go wrong when you start the meal with bite-sized appetizers. As we were looking through our favorite fall appetizer recipes, we stumbled across a list of appetizers from our 1970 vintage cookbook Sharing Our Best – Recipes from Imperial Sugar Employees.
Here’s just a sample:
- Caviar flavored with onion juice.
- Chicken livers minced and moistened with mayonnaise.
- Liverwurst with pistachio nuts.
- Minced eggs with anchovies.
- Herring squares mashed in its own juice and a dash of vinegar and tabasco sauce.
It’s safe to say that tastes have changed since the 70’s (and for the better it seems)! So let the tray of liverwurst and chicken liver pass you by and instead check out some appetizer and beverage recipes that are sure to appeal to a broader palate.
Brown Sugar Bacon Sticks -You can serve bacon at just about any meal or gathering these days. We even have a cocktail and several sweet treats with bacon as an ingredient. While these brown sugar bacon sticks are a no-brainer for breakfast or brunch, they also make a quick appetizer your guests will love. Plus - they are easy to serve.
Cranberry Conserve - This vintage appetizer recipe has been around for a while but is still extremely popular. The sweet/tart combination of cranberry and orange is perfect for fall and holiday entertaining. Add toasted pecans and a little sugar to balance out the tart cranberries and you’ve got a dip that’s ready in under 15 minutes and will wow your guests.
Sweet and Spicy Shrimp Dip - Perfect for a party, or for an incredible appetizer for two, this sweet and spicy shrimp dip delivers on flavor. It’s also very versatile: serve it in a bowl for large groups, or, scoop onto pita chips, crackers, or toasts with a full shrimp for an eye-catching presentation.
Hot Buttered Cider Rum - Welcome your friends and warm your bones with Hot Buttered Cider Rum. This easy recipe combines homemade spiced butter melted into apple cider and mixed with spiced rum.
Candied Bacon and Bourbon Pigskin Fizz - The smoky flavor of candied bacon is subtly augmented the woodsy flavor of bourbon, and ginger beer adds just the right amount of fizz. This is how grown-ups tailgate.
Spiced Apple Cider Sangria - Whip up a batch of Spiced Apple Cider Sangria and be the hit of any Fall gathering. Crisp apple cider and warm spices combine with your favorite Riesling and apple liqueur for the perfect Autumn beverage.
5 Fall Entertaining Tips: Whether planning a get together for a few friends or the entire block, keep these tips in mind to help save your sanity and host a successful soiree.
- Set the date as soon as possible. While fall entertaining is fun; school and sports activities, homecoming dances and holiday plans crowd many people’s calendars. Be sure to make your party a priority with your guests by setting the date well in advance.
- Send out invitations. It’s easier to get the word out and keep track of who is coming with free online invitation sites like Evite.com. If you decide to go old-school, be sure to send your guests a save the date email so they don’t overbook while your invitation is in the mail.
- Plan your menu ahead of time. Gather recipes and ingredients in advance and pick appetizers that are quick and easy to make or that you can prepare in advance.
- Serve a signature drink. Welcome friends and family with a warm beverage like our Hot Buttered Cider Rum that will also make your home smell delicious.
- Keep decorations simple. Fresh, fall florals like sunflowers, dahlias and mums make a room feel festive. You can also use pumpkins, gourds - even leaves from your front yard to decorate table tops.
PIN IT NOW!