Reading from the board has never been so much fun! Send your kids back to school with a smile. Make them a chalkboard that they can eat. This decadent brownie topped with gooey chocolate ganache is decorated to look like a chalkboard and can be personalized for your children. Use it to write any message to turn up the fun for holidays throughout the year.
- Brownie Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into small pieces
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped (or chips)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Ganache Ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Chalk Board Ingredients:
- 1/4 teaspoon Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- reserved 3 tablespoons white frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick tin foil or with parchment paper that is sprayed with baking spray.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Mix with a fork or whisk until well combined.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat on high power for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir.
- Let sit for 3 minutes then stir again.
- Heat for 30 more seconds.
- Let sit in microwave for 3 minutes then remove and stir until melted.
- If needed, heat for 10-second bursts of power, stirring after each, until melted.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until well combined.
- Pour the chocolate, oil, salt, and vanilla extract into the egg mixture and stir well.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 38-42 minutes until the edges are set and the center of feels slightly firm when pressed with a finger.
- Remove and allow to cool for 20 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Level the top of the brownie using a serrated bread knife to trim off the domed edges.
- Set a cutting board over the top of the brownie and flip it upside down onto a serving platter, cake board, or cutting board.
- Beat butter and shortening using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop out 3 tablespoons of the white frosting and spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a #4 round pastry tip.
- Set aside.
- Add peanut butter and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder to the remaining frosting.
- Beat until well combined, adding additional milk, one teaspoon at a time, if needed to thin out the frosting.
- Spoon the tan colored frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a #125 petal pastry tip.
- Pipe a frame of tan frosting around the border of the brownie.
- Pipe a second layer on top of the first to make the frame thicker.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Combine heavy whipping cream and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat on high power for 1 minute.
- Let the bowl sit in microwave for 5 minutes.
- Remove and stir until melted and smooth.
- If needed, heat for 10-second bursts of high power, stirring after each, until melted.
- Pour the chocolate ganache into a thin layer over the brownie in between the peanut butter frosting frame.
- Let the ganache firm up for at least 2 hours.
Chalk Board Decoration:
- Before serving, dust the powdered sugar over the chocolate ganache.
- Using a soft bristle pastry brush, sweep the powdered sugar across the chalkboard a few times.
- Use the white frosting to add letters, numbers, and stick drawings to the chalkboard