Fried or Baked Wonton Ornaments
Some Christmas ornaments look good enough to eat - and in this case, you can! These Baked or Fried Wonton Ornaments are an easy and festive decoration. Make them for the tree or dress up holiday gifts. Fun and easy afternoon activity for when the kids are out on Christmas vacation.
- Baked Wonton Ornaments
- 6 wonton wrappers
- 3 teaspoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Food coloring
- Fried Wonton Ornaments
- 6 wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar, for dusting
- Kitchen shears and kids’ scissors
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For both versions, start by working with one wonton wrapper at a time and gently fold the corners together to create a triangle.
- Fold the triangle in half again.
- Using the scissors, cut small triangles, and trim corners and sides in any design you would like
- Gently open the wonton wrapper to see your snowflake design.
- Place the snowflakes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside and make the colored sugar.
- To make the colored sugar, measure out one teaspoon of the sugar in a small bowl. Next, take a drop or two of food coloring and stir it right into the sugar. Continue to stir until the sugar is completely covered. Repeat this process with any additional colors you would like to use. Sprinkle the colored sugar over the snowflakes and bake for five minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and when cool enough to handle, transfer the snowflakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Heat about two inches of oil in a skillet or pot to 375°F.
- Working in batches, gently drop the snowflakes, one at a time into the hot oil using tongs. Fry the snowflakes until lightly browned, about 10 seconds per side.
- Using the tongs, carefully remove the snowflakes from the pot and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Dust with powdered sugar.
- For both versions, thread a ribbon through one of the holes in the snowflake and hang on tree or display to enjoy.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments