Pilgrim Hat Cookies
This fun recipe will keep your little pilgrims busy (and happy) on Thanksgiving day while you finish the main meal in the kitchen. These Pilgrim Hat Cookies have a chocolate cookie base, a peanut butter cup hat and a royal icing trim. Easy recipe for chefs of all ages. (In a time crunch, you can use store-bought chocolate sandwich cookies as the base as well.)
This recipe makes 24 cookies.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1/2 cup non Dutched (non alkalized) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar (for rolling dough)
- 1 bag miniatures peanut buttercups (dark or milk)
- Royal icing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Combine and sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- With hand held mixer or stand mixer beat soft butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Add sifted ingredients and mix until dough forms, do not overmix.
- Press dough 1/4 inch thick on a cookie sheet lined with plastic food film and place in refrigerator until firm enough to be rolled, about 30-45 minutes. (or refrigerate dough overnight).
- Press dough briefly together to form a ball. Place powdered sugar in a sieve and dust the work surface and dough with a thin layer.
- Roll dough about 3-4 stacked credit cards thick. Cut into circles nearly 1/4 inch wider than peanut buttercups and place on parchment lined cookies sheets about 1/4 inch apart.
- Place in oven and bake until the surface is set but is still soft, about 11-13 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely
- Prepare royal icing and if desired add orange food color. Using royal icing "glue" peanut buttercups onto cookie bottoms.
- With a piping bag, pipe a ribbon of icing along the bottom of peanut buttercups.