Mini Monster Cupcakes
Halloween doesn't have to be all ghouls and frights. Trick-or-treaters of any age will love these not-so-scary monster cupcakes. The vanilla cupcakes are baked in a mini-form, so you can get just a little bit of sweet (or a lot depending on how many you choose to eat!)
Our Mini Monster Cupcakes are topped in vanilla buttercream frosting and sprinkles. The sprinkle bellies of the monster look just like fur. To find sprinkles that match the monster faces, you can find single color sprinkles in a baking supply store or online. You can also use gel food color to tint your buttercream to match.
Once the Mini Monster Cupcakes are baked and iced, you can take the fun up a notch by adding the monster faces, cupcake wrappers and hands.
Gather the family or neighborhood kids around for a Halloween party activity or a day of fun and make these cupcakes together. The result couldn't be cuter! This recipe makes 48 mini cupcakes.
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blue sprinkles
- Green sprinkles
- Pink sprinkles
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 mini muffin pans with liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream 2 sticks butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until smooth, scraping as necessary.
- With a mixer on low speed, add one-third of flour mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Repeat, ending with flour mixture. Increase speed and beat for another 30 seconds. Use a scoop to divide batter evenly in muffin pans.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Directions for Buttercream:
- Add butter to bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until the butter is pale, very smooth, and makes a slapping sound as it hits the sides of the bowl, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar one cup at a time. Mix until it is incorporated before adding the next cup.
- When all of sugar has been added, scrape the bowl. Add vanilla and salt, beat on low speed for 15 seconds.Increase speed to high. Beat until whipped, light and perfectly smooth, about 5 minutes. Scraping bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
- To assemble, add frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe into the center to make a mound.
- Dip into sprinkles and cover the frosting completely.
- Cut out Mini Monster Cupcake Paper Holders (below) and place the docketed cupcake inside.