Turn a regular cup of hot chocolate into an even sweeter winter treat with these delicious and adorable marshmallow snowmen. Perfect for a holiday party or caroling in the neighborhood, they’ll look cute hanging on your straw until they slowly melt into the hot cocoa.
- Evenly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine gelatin and water (1), fit with whip attachment and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and water (2) and cover with a lid. Boil for 3 minutes and remove lid. Attach a thermometer on side of pan and boil until syrup reaches 240°F. Do not stir syrup as this may cause it to crystallize.
- Remove from heat, engage mixer in medium speed and while whipping pour hot syrup in a slow and steady stream onto whipping gelatin. Once all combined engage mixer in high speed. Add salt.
- Whip until mixture feels lukewarm and looks like marshmallow fluff, about 8-12 minutes. Stop mixer and scrape marshmallow into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Dust with a partial amount of powdered sugar.
- Allow to cool, preferably overnight while covered with plastic food wrap.
- Next day remove from pan and use a snowman cookie cutter to cut into shape, toss generously into powdered sugar to make them less sticky.
- Slide the snowman onto the straw starting at the snowman’s head (so the bottom of your straw that will be in your cocoa mug will have the marshmallow residue).
- Fill in your snowman’s hat and draw in coal eyes and buttons with black decorating gel.